As many of you may know, one of our neighbors experienced an electrical fire at his home. This resulted in a major loss. I reached out to him on behalf of LMMNA to see how we could help as a neighborhood (Go Fundme, clothing drive, shelter, etc). I was completely shocked by his response. He asked me for 3 small things.
1. Ask my neighbors to get an “Animal Inside” decal if they are pet owners. In the event of an emergency, a pet rescue window decal alerts rescue personnel that pets are inside your home.
2. Tell them to get an Electrical Safety Inspection to make sure their homes are up to new safety standards. Some of the homes in the neighborhood were built in the 1950’s.
3. His last piece of advice was to be beware of “fire chasers” and shady contractors offering help. Only talk to your insurance company. He was overwhelmed by the number of representatives who showed up before the fire was even put out offering “help”.
It takes a very special person to take a tragic event and turn it into an opportunity to help others. Bret thank you for being such a wonderful neighbor.