Good evening Zone Six Residents!
I hope and pray that everyone had a great Thanksgiving Holiday. We are truly thankful for the opportunity to serve our citizens with commitment, courage, integrity and professionalism. Thus far, we have experienced another year of overall crime reductions. Currently, we are at an 8% decrease but we do recognize that we have experienced a recent increase in car break-ins over the last couple of weeks. To address the issue, we have increased patrols throughout the affected areas. We have also launched our 2016 APD Holiday Plan which includes moving our administrative officers into the field so that everyone has a part in patrolling and keeping our streets safe.
As we enter into this holiday season at full stride, it is important for you to know what is happening in our community and how we can work together to help make our communities safer for us all. Our goal is to ensure that we have a safe holiday season. So, of course we are asking for each and every citizen to participate by partnering with us. We ask that you always keep your eyes and ears open for suspicious activity and call 911 immediately if you notice what is believed to be criminal activity. Do not engage with criminals! Please call police and allow the officers to engage the suspected persons.
Please see the following tips:
- When shopping online, if you’re not generally home to receive your packages, please consider having them shipped to a location where someone will be able to receive your packages. Perhaps your work office or a friend/neighbor that may be home. We usually see an increase of thefts where packages are taken from porches after being delivered.
- When shopping at the malls, please keep your cars clear of any bags or packages. Place packages inside your trunks and if you need to go back into the mall for more shopping, it is a good idea to take enter your vehicle and exit the location and reenter the parking lot and park somewhere else. Criminals will often see victims placing items in their vehicles and when they go back into the mall, they know that they can break into your cars and take the items.
- When pumping gas, lock your cars have your keys in your pockets. Do not leave your cars with purses and other items on your seats in plain view. Criminals are opening car doors and taking purses while ladies are not paying attention and watching the gas pumps. Always be aware of your surroundings.
- For our bar and club people, please guard your drinks so that no one can place any intoxicants in your drinks. Also, please do not assume that the person that you have been communicating with through social media only is safe. If possible, take a companion with you and gather as much information as you can on the person. Make the first 2 or 3 dates into double dates. Social media is convenient for good people as well as those who prey on good and innocent people.
- Do not take strangers home with you. If intoxicated, do not accept rides from people that you have just met. They are considered as strangers until you really get to know them over time.
- I know that these steps seem to be obvious but we are sharing the tips because we are seeing similar incidents too frequently. Because of the diversity of our community, we can’t assume that everyone is aware of the trends. In closing, we want everyone to have a wonderful closeout to 2016. By doing so will put you in place to have a great start to 2017.